Everyone talks about the stats on Facebook. How many users, how often they log on, how many use Facebook on mobiles….. it’s all growing very boring.
What’s not boring is:
- Facebook is available in 70 different languages.
- Over 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application.
- In 2011, an Egyptian baby was named “Facebook” to commemorate the key role Facebook played in Egypt’s revolution.
- An Israeli couple named their daughter after the Facebook ‘like’ feature on 16th May 2011 because they like the meaning behind the word.
- Al Pacino’s face was on the original Facebook homepage.
- A Facebook employee hoodie sold for $4,000 on eBay.
- A couple got murdered because they unfriended someone on Facebook (Billy Clay Payne Jr. and Billie Jean Hayworth decided to de-friend Jenelle Potter on Facebook. In response, Jenelle’s father killed them.)
- One of Facebook’s early functions was a file sharing service.
- The meaning of the term ‘poke’ has never been defined.
- ‘The Social Network’ (a film about the founding of Facebook) won several prominent awards at the 68thGolden Globe Awards, British Academy Film Awards and 83rd Academy Awards in 2011.
- Facebook profile reunites lost family members. For example, Tony Macnauton (father) met his daughter (Frances Simpson) after 48 years.
- Frito-Lay potato chips official Facebook page created a new world record where over 1.5 million new fans joined its profile page in 24 hour on 11th April 2011.
- Facebook was almost shut down by a lawsuit by ConnectU who claimed that Zuckerburg stole the idea and Technology for Facebook.
- Our client Coast Radar is growing exponentially through Facebook (and us!)